Thursday, February 12, 2009

A new take on rice

My three year old son loves rice, but doesn't like vegetables. So this is something I came up with while playing in the kitchen as I often do and Gabriel LOVES it!

Please keep in mind I don't use specific measurements when I cook, so I'll try to break it down as much as I can...


Jasmine rice (1 cup)
Salt-Free Chicken Stock (2 cups)
Sun dried tomatoes (approx 1/8 cup - diced)
Shelled edamame (approx 1/4 cup)
Pineapple (approx 1/4 cup - diced)
Sea salt (pinch)
Italian seasoning (approx 1 tsp)

Bring two cups of Salt-free chicken stock to boiling point. Add jasmine rice, sun dried tomatoes, shelled edamame, pineapple, sea salt & Italian seasoning. Cover & reduce to simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.

If you are NOT using Salt-free Stock then omit the sea salt.

NOTE: I use Herb-Ox Sodium Free Granulated Chicken Bouillon. One jar makes 26 cups of broth and has a much longer shelf life than refrigerated broth. One teaspoon equals one cup of broth...just add water. And it's under $4.00 and can be found in most supermarkets...Stop & Shop, King Kullen, etc...

This side dish goes great with anything! This recipe is just one rendition...I'm always changing & adding depending on what I have in the kitchen at the moment.


1 comment:

The Jeweled Postcard said...

Yum, I might have to try this! I love just about anything with rice ;D Thanks for the follow on my blog, it's pretty new and I'm finding it hard to keep up with everything! I feel like I'm tied to the computer, lol! Be sure and sign up for my giveaway.......candy