What you need:
1. Frozen Spinach, chopped - 2 10oz packages - you can use fresh spinach, personally I find the frozen easier to work with.
2. Garlic - about 6 cloves or so finely chopped
3. Chicken broth or stock - 3 cups
4. Water - 2 cups
5. Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
6. Grated Parmegiano Reggiano cheese - 1/2 cup (more for topping)
7. Large eggs - 2 beat
What you do:
1. Saute the spinach and garlic in a little extra virgin olive oil until the spinach has thawed (if frozen) or until the spinach cooks down (if fresh). 2. Add the chicken broth, water & black pepper; bring to a slow boil; reduce the heat to medium low. 3. Once the broth & water has gelled, slowly stir in the grated cheese. 4. Slowly drizzle in the egg - it should cook as it's being poured in. If not, then your soup is not hot enough. 5. Cook for about 10 minutes, or so. 6. Serve
Serve over rice or pasta. We enjoy ours with cheese filled tricolor tortellini. Be sure to have lots of Italian Bread on hand for mopping up all the extra juice. NOTE: if you have left overs, the rice or pasta will absorb most of the liquid so add some water before refrigerating or when you take it out to re-heat.
What's your favorite soup to enjoy on a cold winters day?